Monday, March 24, 2014

THE BEE

She was dubbed as The Bee because it is what her name “Debbie” means. And like a real bee, I had never seen her idle, not even once. She was always busy. If not working, she was busy doings crafts, reading or learning new stuffs from electricity to carpentry, from baking to gardening, from arts to science. She was always hungry for anything that would be worth learning...

     How did I meet The Bee? It started when I was a sophomore in college. I was looking for a room to rent and it was all God’s leading that I found a room in her place, I call The Dome.

     I fell in love with The Dome immediately when I moved in. It was cramped with books. And boy how I love those books. Some were already collecting dusts, dog- eared and tattered. Some were still new. Some were lying on the floor. Some can be found at the comfort room. Some were at the kitchen. They were everywhere. Because The Bee reads everywhere The Dome.

     Often, when I would go home after my class, I would find The Bee deeply burrowed under her books. It was her hunger for knowledge that kept me so drawn to her. And so, I wanted to be like her. I began to read whatever she had read and marvel at whatever newfound learning I may have had.   

     Apart from reading, The Bee loved arts. Again, this has fascinated me because I also love doing crafts. Whatever she would dip her fingers on, I and some roommates in The Dome would also follow. We were her “tug- alongs.” We would go bowling or cycling at Burnham Park. We would go to the movies or have a movie marathon at home. We would dine at some restaurants to sample some fine cuisines. We would try this and that. And my five years of living in The Dome with The Bee were fruitful years of learning and growing.

     I had always regarded The Bee as INVINCIBLE. I thought she was indestructible. Then, came the cancer.

     The cancer had conquered her. It had momentarily stopped her from her busyness here on earth. But I am pretty sure The Bee continues to be busy...This time, busy singing songs to Her Maker.


     The Bee is gone. But the humongous impact she had made in my life lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment